A little bit about me

My name is Robert (Robbie) Grainger. I am a student at South Alabama majoring in Physical Education. I have wanted to be a teacher and a coach in the high school setting for as long as I can remember. I plan to graduate in the Spring of 2011. I believe I will be a great teacher because I am extremely easy to get along with and have a great work ethic.

Learning from my students

One thing that will be key for me when I become a teacher, will be learning from my students just as they will be learning from me. I think in many cases, teachers become stubborn when a student may know something a little more than a teacher does. I think some teachers might be trying to hard to save face, and feel if a student ever corrects them that the students might lose respect for the teacher and doubt their knowledge. To me, this is the exact opposite of how a teacher should feel.

Teachers should encourage students to think critically on their own. As a student, there was very few things that could give me a better feeling than thinking I was almost on the same level as the teacher. In fact, I think teachers should give students a lot more freedom on how the class is run. Obviously a teacher would have to set some guidelines, but allowing students to be a part of the teaching process can only generate more excitement from students. There was nothing more boring to me as a student then when a teacher would lecture the entire class and never let the students get involved.